FDA recalls Sportmix pet food after at least 28 dogs die from toxic mold

0

The Food and Drug Administration has recalled some pet foods from Sportmix after at least 28 dogs died and eight others fell ill from products with high levels of toxic mold.

The agency warned pet owners and animal specialists Wednesday that certain varieties of the brand’s pet food “may contain potentially fatal levels of aflatoxin.”

Aflatoxin is a mold that can grow on corn and other grains used in pet foods, the agency said.

Symptoms from aflatoxin poisoning include sluggishness, loss of appetite, diarrhea and vomiting, the agency said.

Pet owners whose animals have eaten the recalled Sportmix products — which are listed on the FDA’s site — are urged to contact their veterinarians.

The FDA said it is working with the Missouri Department of Agriculture to determine whether additional products are also potentially harmful.

“Although this pet food recall is still unfolding, we are sharing the facts we have so far because the levels of aflatoxin found in the recalled pet food are potentially fatal,” Dr. Amber McCoig, deputy director of the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine Division of Compliance, said in a statement.

View original post